Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Sigur Rós - Brennisteinn







If you haven't listened to the new Sigur Rós record Kveikur then you have some explaining to do. While still undeniably the same band with Jonsi continuing to make lyrics in the fashion of whatever mystical land of ponies and cotton candy he's from, it's immediately more agressive; brimming with darker undertones than anything they've done in the past. It pays off in making one of their more interesting works in years.  The first song of the new album, Brennisteinn, is evidence of that.

I dig it when dudes/chicks play a guitar with a violin bow though (Jimmy Page ring a bell?  He has nothing to do with this band), so I feel a little bit like I have to like this song for that reason at the very least.  I also like the video because it's in that category of "i'm probably too stupid to get the underlying metaphors but I'll be damned if that yellow smoke doesn't look pretty cool", which is basically every music video ever made. Mariah Carey made some pretty good ones back in the day. Fantasy?  Jesus Christ.......Honey?  HONEY?






I wonder what Eddie Griffin is getting into these days? Oh well, I'm pretty sure I hit puberty at exactly the same time this was released. Thank you 90's MTV, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment