Saturday, August 10, 2013

Speed Runs Live!



I'm sure you are sitting there, getting ready to read this post and asking yourself what in the hell this could be about?  What in the world could possibly be behind these three words brought together?

The answer is both more nerdy and geeky than showing off your Thor costume for the upcoming comic con.

Stop me if you've ever heard of this, which I doubt you have.  A group of people come together, and these people have a love of classic video games.  They love these games so much that they have played them countless times, and know most of the tricks and glitches that would make your lady parts tingle at the sight of them.  The thrill of victory barely even registers in their brains anymore.  It isn't about winning, it's about how fast you can win.

I bet you were proud when you played Zelda's Ocarina Of Time and you finally got past the water temple.  Hell man, took me close to four hours the first time I played the game.  Now imagine watching some Korean guy beat the entire fucking game in under three hours. How about Final Fantasy 7?  Remember putting 80 hours into a single playthrough? The world record is eight hours.  Eight.  Hours.  I'm pretty sure the cutscenes alone take up at least eight hours themselves.

Sure, they use every trick in the book to make it happen.  You'll watch guys jump into a wall four hundred times until he's magically glitched into a fight with the final boss of the game.  It might not be pretty all the time, but I would have never imagined even a month ago that I would be the type of person to watch other people stream video games over the internet.  Even as I type it out the premise sounds ridiculous to me, yet here I am seeing if this guy zoasty can beat Metroid in under 45 minutes or not. I'm not even going to try to explain it, because you'll understand once you start watching.

http://www.twitch.tv/team/srl

There are seriously people that are streaming speed runs 24/7, and there's always multiple options of streams.  Last I checked there were at least 5-10 people streaming their runs so it's easy to find a game that you played and gave up on as a child be beaten in the time it takes to make a pizza.

For the ladies in the audience, I provide you with this picture of a robot unicorn as consolation for having to deal with this post.






Godspeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment