Sunday, July 14, 2013

Chow Time.




Interspecies Appetites. 


Colorado has ants. I saw some of them today. They were gathering around the carcass of a beetle, a large beetle about 100 x their individual sizes, and huddling at it's carapace. I imagine they were trying to lift it and carry it home to delight their queen. The congregation of them was small in number. Now about this time, a block away, I see ants again. Only now it's a cupcake in their sights, and they're breaking away at it, individually hauling pieces of its weightless body back to the hill, about 1,000 times the ants at the carcass. This perturbs me. I use paper, but I rarely think about the rainforest treedweller that's lost it's home due to my audacious chicken scratch. This ant panic on the other hand is completely fucked and on my sidewalk. Ants should be carrying the stiffening corpses of other insects out of my path, not the bullshit litter someone tossed because they realized 'I didn't have the discipline to--' 

There are about 14 words in the dictionary I swoon for and 'detrivore' ranks very high. Not because of it's meaning but it's sonic prowess. Still--a loose definition-- a detrivore is a biological entity that breaks down the dead. Think of a crow needling it's beak into a dog corpse. Detrivore! Let it writhe on your tongue, people. De-tri-vôr. Although it's a common area of unrest, esoteric by no means, the carbon footprint should be lessened. There are beetles to be eaten. There's a reason there's a word for the animal that eats the dead animal. Let's not fuck with that reason. The city is already a habitable landfill, let's get our pastries in the trashcan to distract the wasp population shall we? 



Courtesies, 
                                                                                          The Brothers Rebel 

No comments:

Post a Comment