Wednesday, July 10, 2013

On The Radar: Kayo Dot - And He Built Him A Boat








I have a love/hate relationship with the experimental/avant garde music of Kayo Dot.  My personal breakdown of their discography is that of a sad one.  To this day I still worship and adore their first two records Choirs Of The Eye and Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue, both of which are challenging, yet rewarding listens.  Then comes Blue Lambency Downward and the infamous Coyote, which made me begin to grapple with the idea that this band that I once found so interesting and important was evolving into a miasma of uninteresting melodies and uncontrolled pompousness. They then released the Stained Glass E.P. which showed a glitter of promise, but nothing that made me want to consider my opinion that this train had left the station.

Then, earlier this year, I heard a trailer for their upcoming double-album, Hubardo. Double album? Hmmm......Toby Driver is playing guitar and singing again?  Okay, okay.........FREE CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST?!?!?!?!?!?!  If they have bacon I am going to freak out.

Now they've dropped a new track, and ladies and gentlemen, I'm back on board.....kinda.  Granted, this will probably be the best song on the album and I'll get my hopes let down again BUT UNTIL THAT TIME I'm going to listen to this over and over until this fucker drops.  Only time will tell......but I think this might be in my top ten list at the end of 2013.............



No comments:

Post a Comment