Thursday, July 18, 2013

Promise Ring.



A Prophesied Devotion to Marriages. 


Seeing Marriages (who are alternative, experimental, rock, and post-rock, according to the internets) caused that feeling, 'oh wait, this is my band.' I couldn't like them or think constructively about them, because I was in them. Love or hate, I was a member of this band. It occurred to me after a one, two, punch, 
not dissimilar to firing Liu Kang's fireball. The one was a dredged, chock-arpeggio number finding singer Emma Ruth Rundle troubled and hijacking Fiona Apple's vocal chords. The two was a vox-addled serenade featuring the the singing affectations of an Icelandic empress who you can put your finger on. The punch was hark-Alanis Morrisette but drenched in a refulgent drapery of metals. That's when I was like 'right, right, I'm in this band.' Torres is another band I'm in, though I'm about half as dedicated to them. 

What's fun is that 90s outersound (which was outer then but has calcified into that decade's Kooshy, flannel fabric) is finally bubbling up into people's vocals in an unironic, purposeful way. Artists' earnest love of the 1990s is fully flared. So now there are all these bands I'm in because they were formed in my mind 15 years ago. Shelf life wise, how this will all pan out will be interesting. In another 30 years will I be saying 'this band really tapped into Marriages tapping into Alanis?' Also, gotta love how we all refer to Alanis by her first name. Which brings me to my conclusion: an investigation of first names. We call Dave Matthews 'Dave' (yes you do), but David Byrne, David Byrne. Erg, FYI, bringing up Kanye in this discussion will shed no new light on said query. 



Courtesies, The Brothers Rebel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment