Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Now You Know: Polyenso



I haven't heard a lot of good indie rock this year. I feel like I'm saying that about a lot of genres of music though, lately.  For some weird reason death metal is knocking it out of the park in every category (the new Gorguts and Revocation albums are incredible), which is great, but I'm an old man now and that's the type of shit that gave me tinnitus in the first place. I need to chill out, you know?

Polyenso is one band I've found that has been on repeated listens lately. They hail from St. Petersburg, Florida and used to go by the name Oceana.  Waaaaay back in 2008 they used to have a more rough edged or hardcore sound, but with the name change to Polyenso in 2013 they've gone straight into the indie rock hole and refuse to climb out.







Their new album, One Big Particular Loop, is definitely a more laid back and melancholy affair than most. This is probably not what you want to listen to on your daily jog. This is more for sparking a joint on the porch and reading a book on how to grow your own urban garden.









I definitely get a stripped down Radiohead vibe from this group, so take that whatever way you want. I really like Thom Yorke so I give their singer a pass for his borderline frightening ability to sound like him at times. I give credit for these guys to go from a genre such as post-hardcore, which is mostly lame, to heartfelt indie rock such as this. Go ahead and play this for your significant other so you can show them you have better taste in everything life has to offer. If you're single then go jack off or something.







If you like what you hear you should pop on over to their bandcamp and give the album a listen at http://polyenso.bandcamp.com/  or hell, it's only ten bucks to just go ahead and nab it for digital download! God, I love the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment